Sunday, January 22, 2006

Window of Opportunity

Before starting with this entry, I must say that I am a terrible
loser… as in one who loses things. Within a 36-hour period I have
lost (and retrieved) my keys from a party, permanently lost one yak-
trak while walking outside, and somehow managed to so badly misplace
my gloves in my own room that despite tearing it apart twice I cannot
find them. It never rains but it pours.

As for the actual entry, it deals with my previously leaky window
which I’m pleased to say is now as tight as a drum. As you may
recall from a previous post, when I moved to Copceac I found a piece
of plastic over my window. It was attached by four pushpins, one in
each corner, and did next to nothing to keep out the wind. I used
the better portion of a roll of duct tape to seal the edges and for a
while it worked quite well. But the tape dried out and the constant
wind slowly but surely pealed the tape away from the window frame and
soon I was back to square one – and out of tape.

This weekend I purchased some acrylic and a caulking gun and went
crazy sealing various cracks in the window – and basically sealed the
windows shut permanently shut, too, but I figure I can pick the
caulking away in the summer if needs be. With Krista’s help and a
fresh roll of duct tape, we quite beautifully and hermetically sealed
up the plastic sheet. My room is now a comfortable 56 degrees
Fahrenheit (14 degrees Celsius).

Now my Mom wants me to do her window with another jar of acrylic –
despite her previous protestations that all I needed was some toilet
paper to stick between the cracks. Progress.

No comments: