Thursday, January 19, 2006

Computer Class Showdown

I’d had it.  This Excel class I’ve prepared was ready two weeks ago, but at every turn I’ve been delayed and delayed again in teaching it.  First it was wait until next week, then it was the 16th, then today on the 19th at 3pm, and then that got canceled.  So I pulled everyone together who I want to give the class to into one room and this is how the conversation went:
 
BRAD: I know you are very busy, but I think it will be very useful for you to learn how to use Excel.  You will have more time if you know how to use the computer.
VALENTINA PETROVNA (head accountant): Yes but we’re very busy, maybe next week.
BRAD: No, I need a specific day.
VALENTINA: You are moving too fast.  You will be given a ticket (as in I were speeding)
BRAD: I’ve been ready to give this class for two weeks.  I know it is difficult but you already have a good computer so you should use it.  It is strange to have a computer in your office and never use it, no?
VALENTINA: [no answer, she just returns to her work on her desk.]
BRAD: [waiting in silence for two minutes]
BRAD: Valentina Petrovna, listen – this is the first calculator (picking up the abacus on her desk), this is the second calculator which is faster (picking up a calculator on her desk), and this is the third calculator which is even faster (pointing to the computer).  Tell me when you will have one hour.
VALENTINA: February 1st.
BRAD: What time?
VALENTINA: After lunch.
BRAD: What time exactly?
VALENTINA: Maybe two or three.
BRAD: How about from three to four?
VALENTINA: OK, if we’re not too busy.
BRAD: No, I will definitely teach the class from 3-4 on February 1st.
VALENTINA: Maybe it should be from 3-5.
 
Then Oleg entered and I told him he cannot give the accountants any extra work because they need time for a computer class on February 1 from 3-5.  Definitely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good luck on the excel meeting. Dee and I are doing some computer training ourselves but it mostly consists of typing at this point. The classes have stalled since the generator blew out our monitor but working with guys from the AU I fixed it. Despite all the bad news from Darfur the international NGOs are making a difference - at least in our town... keep up the good work and try to stay warm -g-