Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Banking in Moldova

I think this is going to be a reoccurring theme in my entries here,
but the banking system in this country is out of control. I just
spent 1.5 hours waiting my turn outside of the bank, while one person
at a time was allowed into the single room office where the bank
"official" works. When I finally reached the counter and asked with
all my necessary documents for 1000 lei (about $75), he held up 50
lei ($4) and said that was all they had in the bank now. Dammit!
Couldn't they have put up a sign that said "We're out of money."

[And in case you were wondering what all the other people were doing
since being told "We're out of money" doesn't take all that long and
shouldn't have resulted in my 90-minute wait, they were paying gas
and electric bills. You bring your bills to the bank - and probably
your own money that you keep beneath your mattress - and pay the
bills that way. There are no checking accounts.]

The odd thing is, the banks in the capital are run fairly well,
complete with ATMs and tellers that in my experience always have
access to money. Yet step outside of the few Moldovan cities and
into a village and you step into another financial world.

It's no wonder people don't put their money in the bank or are afraid
to invest - there's a very real possibility, or more likely a
probability, that they won't be able to cash out when they want.
There are families that don't use banks at all and simply hide money
in secret spots throughout their homes. I don't blame them. In fact
I've tried to emulate them, using only the ATMs in the capital city
when I happen to be there and avoiding my local bank completely.

I've been told that the bank should have money tomorrow. Guess I'll
try again... early.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bea otrava