Sunday, January 08, 2006

Gas Problems

As some of you know, Russia recently shut off the natural gas it supplies to Ukraine over a price dispute. My understanding of the situation is limited, but I think the argument is basically that Ukraine has been receiving subsidized gas for several years, and Moscow decided it was time for that to end (perhaps in part to undermine the new pro-West government there under Victor Yushenko). Price disputes ensued and here we are in our current state.

The problem gets a little more interesting in that Russia is a major gas supplier to Eastern Europe, but its pipeline goes through Ukraine. Apparently there are all kinds of international agreements that prevent Ukraine from siphoning off gas destined for Europe, but I think some is happening anyway.

I get involved in this story only tangentially. On Friday, before caroling, my mayor told me the “gas man” told him that we may need to shut off the gas in Copceac. Krista’s mother in Cahul said the same thing to her. I don’t think this will actually happen and is probably part rumor, part exaggeration, and part Soviet mentality of expecting the worst. Nonetheless, it would make life quite difficult if it were to happen.

I’m personally more interested in how it’s affecting my friends from Uzbekistan currently serving in Ukraine. I haven’t heard about anyone having any big problems – I’m sure there are gas reserves or PC there has come up with an alternate solution – but stay warm, guys!

[Turns out they solved the dispute - hooray - I've got gas!]

No comments: