Friday, October 13, 2006

Smelling the Roses

When I went to Ceadir-Lunga for the American Corner opening ceremony, I planned to walk the 30 minutes from my house to the center of the village to get the bus. I usually make this walk whenever I need to go somewhere by bus because (1) the bus doesn't come to my house and (2) there's really nowhere to leave my bike, even if it was locked up. But, I was running late that morning so I needed to ride 7 minutes instead of walk 30. I brought along my bike lock and gave one of my co-workers the key, saying I'd be back the next day and he was free to use it while I was gone.

When I came back to following day, my bike was still locked in the office, but my coworker and key were nowhere to be found. Well, technically, they could be found - in Ukraine. So for the last couple of days I've been without my bike, and it's actually been pretty nice. Usually I just whiz by people, perhaps shouting out a hello as I race past. But on foot, it's easier to get sidetracked by curious onlookers as I did coming out of a store last night and walking to work this morning. I like answering their questions about my work, my country, and myself. A big part of being a PCV is just being here to share that simple information and a couple of laughs.

So, while I'll be glad to pull back into the fast lane once I get my key back, perhaps I'll leave my "hog" in the garage every now and then and just take a stroll.

No comments: