Monday, October 09, 2006

Phone Saga

As I posted earlier, my mobile phone was recently stolen.  In my quest to find a replacement, I've run into a tiny problem - there are no cell phones for sale in Moldova.

I don't exactly understand the situation, but I believe the police have cracked down on unauthorized sales of cell phones and have confiscated large numbers of phones all across the country.  Two stores in Comrat, two stores in Cahul, and several stores in Chisinau had zero phones for sale.  There were a few stores along Chisinau's main drag that had some phones, but the cheapest model available was $75.

I'm going to hold out for a couple weeks until the next group of PCVs departs the country and hopefully pick up one of their used phones.  In the meantime, you can call me at home.  Oh yeah, and I will have the same cell number when I do get a phone, so no need to go through the agony of reprogramming or re-memorizing my digits.

THIS JUST IN: People are nice!  My mayor gave me an extra phone, one PCV offered another extra for free (thank you, Ian), and another departing PCV offered to give me his for free.  So, I'm back and you can once again call me on my cell phone - same number as before (posted to the right).  Also, I have two cell phones for sale...

No comments: