Wednesday, October 11, 2006

American Corner

Yesterday I attended the opening ceremony for the "American Corner" in the main library of Ceadir-Lunga, my regional capital located about 1 hour from my village.  American Corners are funded by US Embassies throughout the world and are places for nationals to learn about America through English books, newspapers, magazines, films, and the Internet.  I was particularly impressed by this Corner because it didn't seem to pull any punches in attempting to give those who used it an accurate description of America.  There were resources there that showed both the height of our achievements and the lows of our history.  In the near future, two other PCVs and I will hold one of our Poosk Business Seminars at the new Corner.

The ceremony also afforded me and other local PCVs to meet our new Ambassador, Michael Kirby, and his staff.  He and his wife have had pretty wide-ranging lives, living in all over the world and he had some good insights for me about my upcoming Foreign Service Exam (like don't put my feet up on the table during the interview...)  Ambassador Kirby also expressed interest in buying some walnuts from my host-brother's fledgling nut business, so hopefully I can set that up.

Thanks to Amy for letting me crash on her couch.

ps - Can you believe it totally slipped my mind to get my photo with the Ambassador?!  Guess I'll really have to do that TV project now so he'll come to Copceac for a visit and present another photo opportunity.

No comments: