Thursday, April 06, 2006

Praktikants

When I came into the office today, there were 4 new 20-year olds here for internships. Oleg asked me to oversee them. So just like that, I have 4 "staff" and one more is supposed to arrive soon. I'm actually glad that Oleg gave me this responsibility - though wish he had given me at least a little notice. In the past, when we've had interns they really haven't done all that much.

If nothing else, I learned from my time with PIRG, MoveOn, and the American Cancer Society that if you're lucky enough to have volunteers or interns, current staff need to devote a certain amount of time to actually developing a work plan for and managing their new staff. I've seen it done well and poorly and know if done poorly people get bored, disillusioned, and leave. So, now I've got them working on modernizing our record keeping system by entering reams of info in currently in huge notebooks into the computer. They'll be here for about 2 months, which may be just enough time to finish this project.

No comments: