Sunday, April 16, 2006

Birthday Blues

Last night's birthday party nearly became my worst birthday ever.

My 27th birthday was Thursday. I invited my three closest Moldovan friends - the mayor, the office attorney, and my tutor - and their husbands or wives to a dinner at my apartment for that Saturday night. Everyone agreed to come, I spent a lot of money on food and drink, and my host-mother and I spent most of the day preparing for their 7pm arrival. At 6:30, Valerie's wife called to say they'd be an hour or hour and a half late. At 7:05, my tutor called to say her husband still wasn't home and she couldn't come without him. At 8:30, I called my tutor - spoke to her husband who said it was too late for them to come now, and how about tomorrow morning? I declined. Repeated calls to the mayor's home and cell phone went unanswered. Valerie and his wife finally showed up around 9:15 to save the day - they were in Ukraine buying a dog.

For a while I felt like I got stood up at the prom. I know it's a different culture that doesn't necessarily place the same import on "plans" or "schedules" as we do in America, but it was still dissappointing - and of course I read into the situation as just how important I'm considered by some here.

But on the brighter side of things, I did have a good time with Valerie and his wife, I'm going to eat like a king this week from all the leftovers, and at least it's not Bastogne (this will make sense to anyone who's seen Band of Brothers).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be #?/$&>!s.You can fill in the blanks.

Anonymous said...

You are always in my thoughts.I would have come to the party.It's hard living in a different culture.Remember no matter what happens elsewhere,you are loved here.

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Well, dude... It has no anything with culture, however, it has A LOT with lack of culture, basic human culture which is the same all around the world. As moldovan, I can tell you that they are assholes.

I'm very sorry and I'd like to apologise for the thing they made.

Alex

Anonymous said...

Hi Brad,

I am sorry you felt so badly on your birthday because of my co-nationals. I spent 4 years abroad and I know how miserable it can be sometimes to live far away from the loved ones. I just like to say that it has nothing to do with Moldovan culture, mayve city life vs rural life. You'd never get into such situation in Chisinau, believe me. And, though this comes a bit late - happy birthday Dude!

Best Regards, SSS