Thursday, April 06, 2006

Disappointment

UNBELIEVABLE! Since I arrived people have been asking me to help them with computers. So next week was going to be the big coming out party – computer classes twice a week after classes at each two schools here. But then I was at School #1 today and the director and computer teacher were opposed to the idea because they feared some of my students – all other teachers – might accidentally erase an important file that would reduce the computer to a pile of rubble. For anyone somewhat familiar with computers, this is pretty near impossible to do – and for the people I would be teaching who don’t know anything about computers it’s even closer to impossible.

I was so pissed that I needed to watch Rob Roy kill lots of people to calm down.

Fortunately, School #2 is completely behind the idea and classes will start next week. I was motivated before this recent turn of events, but now you better believe that School #2 is going to have the best damn computer classes this side of the Atlantic and School #1 will rue the day!

But I learned an important lesson. Even though starting this class at School #2 was fairly easy, don't assume the same will be true at all locations. I should have had a bunch of the teachers who wanted the course in on the meeting at School #1. I just didn't think it was necessary given the ease at the other school. From now on, I won't go into a meeting armed only with a good idea...

No comments: