Monday, September 19, 2005

Rockstars

Turns out this M-17 group is quite musical. There are at least 5 people who know how to play the guitar, 2 harmonica players, and one pianist. [We’re thinking, only somewhat jokingly, of forming a band.] Anyway, at the welcoming party for the 6 PCVs in my town after a round of Moldovan songs and dance, we were asked to perform. Sadly, I must admit that our first foray into expressing our American heritage through the arts was none other than the Electric Slide performed to some live Moldovan accordion and drum music played by an 10- and 12-year old boy, respectively. Next we fetched my guitar and rallied with sing-a-longs to Home on the Range, She Was Just 17, some Russian song that another PCV knew, some blues and harmonica duets, Hotel California, and closed with Yesterday.

I returned home with my family and fellow PCV Adam for a long dinner and discussion, followed by more blues performances for neighbors who stopped by.

Tomorrow starts work in earnest with my first full week of language classes. Looking forward to settling into a schedule and giving up some of my newly found groupies for some quality time with my Russian/English dictionary…

No comments: