Saturday, September 10, 2005

Glory Days



On Friday I returned to my alma mater, Kittatinny Regional High School, to speak about my 6 months with the Peace Corps in Uzbekistan. One’s job as a PCV continues even after returning from abroad. Then, we are to share our knowledge and experiences with American citizens in order to promote a greater understanding between the peoples of the world. I have to admit when I first made the offer to speak over a 6am breakfast with two former teachers, I thought I’d be speaking to one or two classes. Instead I spoke non-stop for 7 of the 9 periods and was pretty hoarse by the end of the day. Nonetheless, I’m glad I was afforded the opportunity to speak. At the very least the students know a little more about Uzbekistan and a handful seemed very interested in potentially serving in the Peace Corps after college. [If you’re a student or teacher at Kittatinny and have questions about Uzbekistan, Moldova, or Peace Corps, feel free to drop me a line.] Special thanks to Scotty and Tommy for hooking me up on the speaking circuit.

No comments: