Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Volunteers in High Society



Last weekend I broke with the usual PCV practices – cabbage and potatoes, heavy boots, and speaking in a foreign language – to take part in the pomp and circumstance of the Marine Ball. Apparently, every November the Marines celebrate their birthday all over the world. Sometimes, when the Marines are stationed in the field, the ceremonies are very simply, nothing more than a few cupcakes. In Moldova, there was a live band, DJ, steak dinners, men in tuxes, ladies in gowns, and six Marines in their finest.

Four PC staff members and eight PCVs attended, and I think we all had a blast. I finally remembered to get my picture with Ambassador Michael Kirby and his wife, Sarah. Krista is next to me in a gown sent over by her father – well worth the shipping costs, if you ask me…

No comments: