Sunday, November 12, 2006

Cold & Computers

The weather has definitely turned a corner. The longjohns are out of the closet and the sleeping bag has become another blanket. But with my feet resting on the electric heater, I’m comfortable and happy in my home. My host-mother and host-brother returned from three months working abroad in Germany. It’s unclear how long she’ll be here – the brother is living in Chisinau – but she seems genuinely happy to be back and more accustomed to my presence than last time she was here. We had a good chat the other night about her son’s walnut business and the general state of things in Moldova. [Incidentally, how much do unshelled walnuts go for in America these days? I bought a 17-kilogram bag for the Ambassador for 200 lei, or about 12 lei per kilo, or about 40 cents per pound.]

Since my 6-month contract was up this month, I was worried that host-mom would ask me to move out. But she agreed to let me continue living here until I complete my service, which was of great relief.

The cooler weather has also tempered Copceac’s level of activity. Copceac, and probably most of Moldova, might best be compared to a resort town. Both have their busy seasons (the summer), and their down times (the winter). Now that the harvests are complete, and there’s nothing left to can, there’s less to do once the sun goes down. This morning, I actually helped my family complete probably the last of the farm chores – tilling the earth before the winter freezes it. I think I mentioned this a year ago, there are no gas-powered tillers like you see in America, like push tractors with vertical food-processor-like blades that chop up the ground. Here, we do it with shovels, scooping up and turning over.

I’m keeping busy with yet another computer class – well, one and a half. My “half” class consists of helping another teacher teach teachers (can I say that?) how to use the school computers. It’s definitely his gig, and though we may have different teaching styles, I’m happy to help with anything that helps people work more efficiently.

Because of some problems at the local internet cafĂ© (which still has no internet), I have only 4 people in my personal class. Although I’d like to have more spaces available for the other people who are on my list, I have to admit I’m really enjoying the smaller class. We’ve been able to move much more quickly than any of my previous classes – perhaps a sign I’m getting better at this teaching thing?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a RPCV from Turkmenistan visiting Moldova... I'm currently in Tiraspol, but am coming to chisiau this weekend. Could you tell me where the Peace Corps office is?? My email is stephaniekmiller@gmail.com

Thanks a lot,
Stephanie