Monday, September 25, 2006

Tractors

After dinner tonight, my host-brother asked if I'd help him outside for a moment. Always up for an adventure. He needed me to help him get a large tractor rolling so he could jump in and start it. Because it rained here today, the dirt street was pretty muddy, and we were quickly covered in it. So he gets it started and says, "Brad, ever been in a tractor before? Want a ride?"

I jumped in and we're off, bouncing down the street with our headlights the only illumination. "Where are we going?" I yelled over the engine. "To buy bread." Oh. Glad I'm dirty for a reason. But, we got to the store in no time - well, we got to the store faster than if we had walked. Going over potholed roads in a tractor isn't exactly a speedy operation.

Vitalik buys the bread, and then hops back in the tractor, which has now refused to start. I'm again out back, pushing this tractor a good 100 yards while Vitalik repeatedly tries to start her. Eventually, we ran out of room to push - good thing because my heart was running out of beats per minute. On my cell, Vitalik calls the owner of the tractor, who goes to our house to get my bike so he can ride to us more quickly. He starts the tractor and we head home. Mission accomplished - one loaf of bread heavier.

No comments: