Saturday, September 30, 2006

Disconnected

My cell phone was stolen today.  I was waiting in the center of the village for a bus to arrive so I could send a package on it the following day.  When the bus arrived, I left my bag and cell phone where I had been sitting, walked about 20 meters to speak with the driver, and returned a minute later.  The phone was gone.

I don't think what happened today is any more or less likely to occur in America.  Mobile phones valuable and easily concealed and are stolen all the time.  Nonetheless, it never feels great to be the victim of a crime.  And I was doing so well on budgeting my Peace Corps allowance this month, too.

I do take some solace in the fact that it could have been much worse - my phone was purchased used and is the cheapest model one can have in Moldova.  I'll post again when I get a new phone in few days.  In the mean time, feel free to call my old number - posted to the right - at all hours of the day and night.  Just because the thief has my phone doesn't mean he gets to enjoy it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Brad,

Sorry to hear about your phone.
Love,
Mom