Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Say Cheese


Yesterday I bought 10kg (22 pounds) of a cheese I've found only in Moldova, brinza.  It's a fairly hard white cheese that can be made from just about any kind of milk, and I love it.  I bought this cheese from one of my neighbors for about $1 per pound and I hope it will last a long time.

To preserve it, I borrowed five 3-liter glass jars from my host-brother and basically pickled the cheese.  To do this, boil water and keep adding salt until an egg will float in the water (incidentally, someone else in my village told me this is similar to how you make wine, adding sugar to the juice until an egg floats).  Allow the water to cool - if it's too hot it will "melt" the cheese and make it too soft - and put the pieces of cheese in the empty glass jars.  Then pour the warm salty water over the cheese until the jars are almost full.  Lastly, seal the jars with a special canning device and voila - cheese that will last forever!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brad,
This is Vinh. I was able to taste the fine cheese before crossing over to Ukraine. It was good! Thank you for setting things up for me. -vinh