Thursday, July 20, 2006

I Play Host

Over the last few days, I hosted my first Couchsurfer, Vihn Pham.  He's a pretty amazing fellow who's led a pretty amazing life - born in Vietnam, when he was 9 his parents paid 2 ounces of gold to get him a space on a boat bound for a refugee camp, he lived there and at another camp for 5 months, then moved to Utah where over the course of his adolescence he lived with 3 foster families, put himself through college while he worked in an IT job, then decided it was time to see the world so he flew to Portugal, purchased a used car, and has driven all over Europe and hopes to get as far as Malaysia.

Vihn gave me a ride back to my village, I made him tacos, he showed me how to use Adobe Photoshop, and I gave him a book.  It was nice to have some company and I wish him the best on the rest of his trip.

I'll be hosting some more folks, other PCVs this time, this weekend to prepare for a 3-day business camp for youth that we'd like to start in September.

No comments: