Thursday, May 11, 2006

Gagauz

Though Moldova is a small nation - about the size of Maryland - it has many languages.  Romanian is now the official language, but virtually everyone knows Russian from this nation's time as part of the Soviet Union.  Then there are pockets of Ukrainian and Bulgarian, and in my neck of the woods, Gagauz, a Turkish dialect.

Language is actually a controversial issue - I'd compare it to the strife between English and Spanish in America, but a lot more vigorous.  Some favor Russian over Romanian, some go the other way, and some don't even know the other language.  In my village, only a handful know Romanian and Gagauz is actually their first language with Russian a close second.

Therefore, I have started learning this Turkish language.  PC was kind enough to back me up in this endeavor - meaning they'll pay my tutoring bill.  It's a bit of an experiment for them since no PCV has ever learned Gagauz before.  I really like it so far - it's grammar is definitely easier compared to Russian, the mother of all prefixes and suffixes.  Already I've been able to catch a few words and converse a little with people in their native tongue, and if nothing else it always wins a smile from locals who see that an American is at least trying to adapt to their culture.

No comments: