Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I Had a Dream...

…in Russian. I suppose this first dream in a Russian is a good sign that the language is sinking into my subconscious and that fluency is just around the corner, though the jury is still out on whether it is just the first signal of an impending mental breakdown (just a joke, Mom – I’m fine). Regardless, I can’t for the life of me figure out what the dream’s plot means. Feel free to make comments here about your interpretation – best suggestion will get a prize (honestly!)

In my dream, I’m driving a car somewhere when it breaks down. I pull over to the side of the road. Two men appear and I explain the situation to them (in Russian) and they offer to take a look at my engine to see if they can fix it, which they soon realize they cannot do.

Then I see a watch in the back seat of my car and I think, “Maybe this watch belongs to one of the dudes who just tried to help me.” Being the fine gentleman that I am and not wishing to deprive anyone of their property, I ask if it belongs to them. Though I don’t really get an answer, one of them takes it.

Next I think, “Maybe it doesn’t really belong to one of them, but they just want a free watch.” So I say, “Hey, if that watch isn’t yours you should give it back. It might belong to one of my friends.” Again, they don’t give it back or say anything, but it becomes increasingly clear that the watch does not, in fact, belong to them.

Suddenly, I’m talking to some woman about the watch because apparently her daughter now has it. I tell her the watch must belong to one of my friends, to which she replies that perhaps the watch belongs to her daughter and it fell off in my car, to which I reply that I’ve never even seen her daughter before. At this point she relents, calls her daughter over, and returns the watch.

Then I woke up. A lei for your thoughts? [A lei (pronounced “lay”) is the Moldovan currency and is equivalent to about 8 cents. So, you’re actually getting a good deal – 8 pennies instead of the usual going rate of 1 – and the additional pleasure of being part of a joke with sexual innuendo because I’m offering to give you a “lay.” Isn’t explained humor funny?]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Why are you deleting comments? How am supposed to know what I'm up against? you know I'd do anything for a lay, lei, whatever.

So i've put a lot of thought into this and consulted some real experts, and here are my interpretations, which I think you can rely on pretty unquestionably:

I think the two men who wouldn't return the watch represent people, probably males, who wanted to keep some sort fo time peice as a device for tracking the passage of hours and minutes, that is to say the units of time into which we divide our day. Why would such people with such motivations appear in your dream? It could bne that one or both of them had been late to something recently and felt guilty about it. One might also consider the possibility that they were fashionistas, but only if it was a nice watch. Clearly the symbolism is strong, either way.

Your car likely represents a vehicle that belongs to you.

And the backseat where you found the watch almost certainly represents the seating area in the car that rests directly behind both the drivers' seat and front passenger seat. That's elementary Psych 101 stuff Brad, and I'm dissapointed in you for not having picked that up yourself.

The fact that the car broke down on the side of the road probably means there was something mechanincally wrong with the car...maybe the timing belt, perhaps the CV joints....i really can't say for sure unless I can take a look at it.

But what is the significance of the fact that the men did not speak? There could be any number of therories on this, and maybe you'd want to ask a local therapist, but i've narrowed it down to two solid possibilities: 1. they had sore throats; or B. they were shy. it could also be true that one had a sore throat and the other was shy....if that is the case, that's pretty deep stuff and you should check yourself directly into the nearest psychiatric hospital you can find. Once there, you should demand a direct iv drip of their most powerful Antipsychotic. (preferably the non-drowsy formula).

Now you're probably wondering what it means that you were you suspicious of these two men.

I'll tell you why. Those guys just weren't trustworthy. No sir, they were sketchy from the start. If I were you I would avoid dreaming about them in the future for fear that more of your subconcious possessions go missing.

Now what is the psychological significance of the fact that you talked to the woman who's daugter had the watch? well. that's a toughie, but if it was the girl's mother, than that's probably who'd I'd talk to if I wanted to get that watch back. So I think you did the right thing there.

Now what does it mean that you got the watch back from the mother and daugther? You may scoff and say I'm just being neo-Jungian, but I'd say you can keep the watch.