Friday, October 14, 2005

Handicrafts

After learning our sites, we took off for a tour of local tradespersons’ homes and workshops. First stop, the spryest 83-year old man I have ever and probably will ever meet. He fought for two years in WWII and then spent 6 years after the war in a Russian POW camp. Now he has four children, the last of whom he fathered when he was 51 years old. He’s a blacksmith and an engineer and showed us all these formerly hand-powered machines that he rigged for electric power. One de-kernels cornhusks and another grinds the kernels into flower. He also pounds away on an anvil over hot coals making all manner of things.

Next stop was a local artist’s home. I think at the end of my 2 years I’ll go back and buy one of his paintings. He was very good and has a style similar to that of my own Mother (see the links to the right for her website).

Next was a local honey producer where I happily tried out his various honeys before purchasing a kilo for about $3. So good in my daily tea…

Last stop I didn’t really understand, but I think it was a family known for their needlework. After touring their home they treated us to Moldovan songs and dance, and to return the favor we sang “When the Saints Go Marching In” and did the Hokey Pokey. I think we got the better end of the bargain.

No comments: