Wednesday, October 05, 2005

A Capital Trip

October 05
Last Saturday we were turned loose in the capital, Chisinau (pronounced Key-shin-now in Romanian or Key-shin-nyov in Russian). It's an interesting place. In general, it's wealthier than Uzbekistan, but still has a wide range between the poor or middle class who shop in the open-air markets and bazaars and the rich who eat at McDonald's (there are 3 of them in the capital and it's actually a sign of high status to be able to eat at one) or shop in the rich stores - I poked my head into a Hugo Boss and Puma store where a pair of sneakers cost the equivalent of $100 - the same amount my host father makes in a month.

After picking up some hangers, oranges, and a beard-trimmer to replace the one I brought from America and somehow fried on the voltage over here, we visited the PC Office and then hit a Middle-Eastern restaurant named, "Class" for a fantastic lunch. I have hummos, tabouli, and shish taouk and can't wait to go back there! Just like being at King of Shish Kebab back in Jersey...

We also saw the US Embassy, which I cannot go into despite my American citizenship, unless I have an appointment or its an emergency; one movie theater that shows films in Russian and another that shows them in English; a place that can develop digital photos; and in general figured out the layout of the city.

No comments: