Friday, June 02, 2006

Nothing New, Except the Pics




How's that for an exciting title?  Well, it's really the reason I haven't posted in sometime.  Now that the big changes are over - moving to a new place, starting a bunch of computer classes, and acquiring my new mode of transportation (bike) - my life has taken on a more scheduled pace.  I get up in the morning and study Russian, Gagauz, or for the GMATs; head to the office; teach a computer class or three; ride my bike home; workout; eat dinner and hit the sack.  Not a bad modus operandi, though not exactly the stuff for the next Hollywood summer blockbuster.

However, today marked the end of the school year all across Moldova.  There are no snow days here - or if school is closed for some reason it does not get tacked on to the end of the year like it does in America.  Schools start on September 1 and end on May 31.  Period.

I decided to skip the graduation ceremony this morning - once you've seen one ceremony filled  local dances and long-winded speeches by officials who only show up to give a speech but actually have nothing to do with the success of a project, you've seen them all.  But I did go to the "after-party" with the teachers at the local "campground" for a big picnic. 
I busted out my camping hammock, which was a huge favorite, and got to play a little soccer and just chill.

Riding my bike home, I was also able to snap some awesome pictures of the corn fields where everyone - and I mean everyone - is basically weeding by hand until the corn is tall enough to grab all the sunlight.

ps - Craig, now you really have to update your blog.

No comments: