Sunday, December 25, 2005

'Tis the Season

My first Christmas overseas has come and gone, and despite being away from friends, family, American food, and 100% indoor plumbing it was pretty great. I took a 10-minute taxi ride from my village to the nearest city, Taraclia, where I picked up a bus and traveled 1.5 hours west to the city of Cahul. From there I took another taxi, this time north about 25 minutes to Zirnesti, a village where another PCV, Joanna, lives.

Joanna had done her place up quite well, complete with a mini-Christmas tree, which we decorated. I brought my guitar and some print-outs of the words to Christmas carols and I must say our small group of carolers did quite well on Jingle Bell Rock, Silent Night, and The 12 Days of Christmas.


We watched a few movies and feasted on an excellent lasagna that Joanna and her coux (sp?) chef, Krystal, baked for the occasion.

Special thanks must be made to Krista, who gave me a bag of made-from-scratch bagels that she baked. Since I love bagels and they do not exist in Moldova, it really made my day. Definitely among the top-5 Christmas presents ever received.

And though I haven't done it yet, in about 3 hours I can call my entire family at my Aunt Gail's house in NJ, where they've gathered for the day. Really looking forward to speaking with everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOSE THE BEARD!