Thursday, December 08, 2005

English Klub

I’ve started the Copceac English Klub and yesterday was our first
meeting. It’s for people who already know some English, but want to
practice speaking with a native (moi). I’d also like to use this
forum as a way to share a bit about myself and America and to learn
about Gagauzian culture (the members of the club told me they were
Gagauzians, not Moldovans) and my village’s needs from people who can
explain it in English better than I can ask or understand it in Russian.

Future plans for the Klub include watching and discussing American
films, learning about American geography (courtesy of maps being sent
by my friend Hal – though feel free to send maps of your own state
and I’ll use them), listening to American songs, etc. - and of course
just chatting. Eventually, I’d like to use this Klub as a sort of
local NGO, maybe to redo an abandoned movie theater as a new youth
center or some other such project, but that’s way down the line.

For now, we’re going to meet every Sunday. There is one time for
beginners and one time for advanced students or English teachers. As
this is the first English Klub I've ever run, any suggestions would
be most welcome.

No comments: