Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Lopsided Bus and Orthodox Easter




I was planning to be home in Copceac for Easter, but when I arrived at the bus station to board the one daily bus from the capital to my site, it looked like it really needed some V8 juice - meaning it was leaning way to the side. I took a few pictures of the tires - one on each side of the bus to show how compressed the shocks were on one side compared with the other. Now I've ridden in a lot of shoddy vehicles in my time in the Peace Corps, both in Moldova and Uzbekistan, but this one just rubbed me the wrong way and I really thought it would be a bad decision to risk a roll-over on such a lopsided bus. So, I called PC and told them I would make a slight detour to Cahul via another bus and return to site the following day.

[This is a whole different discussion about the "PC Whereabouts Policy." Basically, PC must always know where PCVs are in case of emergency. Usually we cannot simply inform PC of our plans, but have to ask permission. Some Americans, used to their independence, chaff under these restrictions. I think in general it's a good system, though it could stand a few reforms.]


That change in plans allowed me to attend Orthodox Easter services at the local church - at 3 in the morning. Yep, round these parts most believers fast for the two days before Easter (which occurs the week after Easter in America) and then go to church starting around midnight and the service goes until around sunrise. There are no pews, so people stand and are constantly going in and out of the church while the priests read and chant. Outside, small picnics encircle the church and all wait for the religious authorities to finish their services inside and begin blessing food and water outside.

All in all, it was a good detour.

ps - here's a picture from the American Easter we celebrated in my English Club the week before. Egg toss anyone?

No comments: