Sunday, August 06, 2006

Getting Organized


To remove the anyone's temptation to break my window again, I've removed all my books and documents that were sitting in the small bay window area and placed them in my newly built bookshelf! I purchased a 3m board with the bark still on the sides, borrowed a hand saw, and cut it into three pieces. I then sanded each board and went out looking for some "beams."

Everything here - even high-rise apartment buildings - is built out of cinder blocks. Consequently, about every fifth house has a big pile of these gray fundamentals of construction just sitting in their yard, waiting to be used for some kind of home-remodeling effort. I figured that someone would be willing to give or sell 6 cinder blocks to their favorite American. So I just walked down the street and asked people and ultimately found success at the second house I tried.

Now that the work is done, I think I will never buy a traditional bookshelf again. It was pretty easy, looks good, and most importantly was cheap.

No comments: