Saturday, March 04, 2006

Women's Day, Water, and Ukraine

March 8th is Women's Day, but we celebrated it yesterday. In my
village, it's basically the same as Man's Day (which used to be the
Soviet Army Day and took place about a month ago). My tutor invited
me to her school's festivities - a big lunch, lots of speeches,
dancing, drinking, me repeatedly explaining that actually I don't
want any more wine or cognac, funny games, and small gifts. The same
thing happened at the mayor's office after 5pm. I'm not really going
into a lot of detail here because I'm a bit partied out right now.
One can take only so much.

USAID and the Urban Institute came to our village this week to
celebrate the finish of a water project that built three small water
towers and ran a new pipe down one street. That was a good day. I
had three lunches as I and the other "dignitaries" were carted around
town to see where future projects might take place.

Was planning on going to Bolgrad, Ukraine today to do some shopping
with Mom, but learned that for some reason only people who officially
have documentation that states they live in Copceac can cross the
border at this one spot - God knows why. Up until last night, I was
still raring to go - I think in part because so many people had told
me (incorrectly) that it couldn't be done. For example, our office
passport "expert" kept insisting that I needed a Ukrainian visa, when
I am 100% certain that as an American I do not. Peace Corps is
certain that I do not and approves day trips like this for PCVs who
live near the border all the time. I even know Americans currently
living in Ukraine without visas. But eventually I threw up my hands
at the red tape wall that was continually mounting. Really, the
market in Bolgrad is nothing to write home about so it's not worth
the headache. I think I was just itching for a little adventure -
even getting (erroneously) turned back at the border would be a new
excursion. Maybe I'll figure out a way to go some other time, but
now I can look forward to a weekend of R&R...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Brad,

Enjoyed reading about Woman's Day, the three water towers and the almost trip to
Bolgrad. Keep the saga going. I
love reading Nightpie's travels.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

You were right not to go. There are 2 types of border crossings between Moldova and Ukraine: international and domestic. Citizens of all countries may use international, but only citizens of Moldova and Ukraine may use domestic crossings. The one that is near Copceac is domestic crossing.

Anonymous said...

Brad,

Still stuck to this chair here Fremont. But seriously don't talk to anyone else about that duct tape deal before I get the chance to break free and really show you what a realtionship with Adhesive International can do for you. The other guys just don't measure up. Did you know duct tape was invented in Nebraska? I'd call you to chat it out but I don't have your number and somebody crazy glued my cell phone shut.